Author Topic: Item: EggAvatar  (Read 179399 times)

Offline NFM

Re: Item: Egg your victims avatar
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2007, 01:47:07 am »
I can't seem to get this to work at all.  The error I keep getting is that it can't find the "egged" directory.  I've gone to the avatars folder and created "egged" "Egged" and "EGGED" and it still says that it can't find the directory.

Offline feeble

« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2007, 05:57:04 am »
I can't seem to get this to work at all.  The error I keep getting is that it can't find the "egged" directory.  I've gone to the avatars folder and created "egged" "Egged" and "EGGED" and it still says that it can't find the directory.

where abouts does it say this? when you are adding the item or when trying to use the item

if you are trying to use this item, try this debug version and send me a pm with what it prints out.

folder name should be 'egged'

Offline NFM

« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2007, 11:48:45 pm »
I'll try that tonight when I get home.  But I get that message when I try and add the item.

Offline feeble

« Reply #183 on: April 05, 2007, 05:48:42 am »
I'll try that tonight when I get home.  But I get that message when I try and add the item.

can i please have your website address please

Offline perplexed

« Reply #184 on: April 05, 2007, 10:01:09 pm »
hi feeble,

A couple of members are reporting this error when they go to their profiles to choose an avatar:

I dont get this, I see the avatar they are currently wearing - they see the red cross - and I can select from the categories and they cant.

All permissions are correct, and members are allowed to select from the stored avatars.  This was only mentioned today and yesterday.

any ideas?

edited to add:  I managed to duplicate the problem by changing browsers to IE7 and Opera.
If I use IE7 or opera, I get a display like that and no avatar selection.  If I right-click on the broken image it says the url is
http://www.mysite.com/forum/avatars/1       (which doesnt exist to my knowledge)

Also checking the log, I have 3 pages of  8 undefined index for eggtaunt  - any idea how to fix those?

Any ideas how to fix?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 07:29:46 pm by perplexed »
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Offline feeble

« Reply #185 on: April 06, 2007, 03:59:30 pm »
umm can you open any other folder?
like cats? or actors?

Offline perplexed

« Reply #186 on: April 06, 2007, 08:51:16 pm »
umm can you open any other folder?
like cats? or actors?

I can in firefox but not in opera or IE.  thats why I didnt realise there was a problem as I only use FF usually.  Then some members started to comment that they couldnt see their avatars, couldnt change them etc

the avatar directories arent clickable, so you cant even browse through them... but you can in Firefox

Offline feeble

« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2007, 10:16:08 pm »
i dont think i can fix that sorry, seems like an SMF problem. since I havent alter the profile related files at all

Offline JSizzal

« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2007, 04:04:58 am »
I dont i doubt im the only one who has experienced this but when i egged someones avy, it ate the avatar.

Its no longer there..!!

Offline perplexed

« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2007, 04:12:45 am »
well this is kinda odd but I just posted this and it disappeared so here I go again.  I'm pretty sure I said it better the first time...

Feeble the probem has to do with the egging and browsers other than Firefox.

Members who have been egged can no longer browse or select avatars from the stored avatars on the forum IF they use a browser other than firefox.
Their current avatar disappears, and is replaced by the broken image with 'do nothing' (as per image above) and the avatar directories are not links so they cant browse or select from them
If they go to firefox, they can do everything as normal

Members who have never been egged can continue to browse and select avatars from the server from all browers.  But once they get egged, they get the same problem as above.

It doesnt happen in firefox which is why I didnt pick up on it before now - I use firefox.  But it is really stopping members from playing with the new egging feature as not many of them use firefox.

I tested it myself with my account, everything fine in firefox - can't change avatar, select avatar etc in IE.
Then I tried it with a member account that had never been egged and everything was fine in all browsers... until they were egged and then they run into the above problem.

Offline feeble

« Reply #190 on: April 08, 2007, 06:51:29 am »
I dont i doubt im the only one who has experienced this but when i egged someones avy, it ate the avatar.

Its no longer there..!!

can you please elaborate on this please.
was it an uploaded avatar?
did you have the setting enabled that that it would overwrite the avatar?
please link the image if possible
anything else would be useful as well, like a website address etc.

well this is kinda odd but I just posted this and it disappeared so here I go again.  I'm pretty sure I said it better the first time...

Members who have been egged can no longer browse or select avatars from the stored avatars on the forum IF they use a browser other than firefox.
Their current avatar disappears, and is replaced by the broken image with 'do nothing' (as per image above) and the avatar directories are not links so they cant browse or select from them

Members who have never been egged can continue to browse and select avatars from the server from all browers.  But once they get egged, they get the same problem as above.

It doesnt happen in firefox which is why I didnt pick up on it before now - I use firefox.  But it is really stopping members from playing with the new egging feature as not many of them use firefox.

I tested it myself with my account, everything fine in firefox - can't change avatar, select avatar etc in IE.
Then I tried it with a member account that had never been egged and everything was fine in all browsers... until they were egged and then they run into the above problem.

ill look into it, but it sounds odd.

just checking, when the users of ie get this problem, is their avatar egged? and was it egged successfully?

Offline perplexed

« Reply #191 on: April 08, 2007, 08:42:08 am »

Its no longer there..!!

can you please elaborate on this please.
was it an uploaded avatar?
did you have the setting enabled that that it would overwrite the avatar?
please link the image if possible
anything else would be useful as well, like a website address etc.

ill look into it, but it sounds odd.

just checking, when the users of ie get this problem, is their avatar egged? and was it egged successfully?

Yes all the people have been successfully egged at least once, sometimes more.  When they try to change their avatar they can't access the ones on the server... in IE etc but in firefox its ok

People who have never been egged are ok.

The first report I got was from a newish member who said her avatar had disappeared (it was an egged one).  then another member said the same thing and sent me the above screenshot.  I could access their avatars using FF so I put them back on but they couldnt change them and they didnt show up.

then I tried to recreate the problem and discovered the above.  If I log in as a member who had been egged previously in IE then I dont see the second avatar column at all and I cant select any, but if I log in as a never egged member in IE, then the second avatar box (the selection box) appears.

It is very weird.  Its late here so I cant do anything else till tomorrow. Thanks for investigating.

Offline perplexed

« Reply #192 on: April 08, 2007, 10:38:39 pm »
ok I've managed to narrow it down a bit.   As I had just had to reinstall my testforum, all the files were new.  the problem is not happening on the testforum as I have been trying to duplicate it.  So I thought it might be theme-related.  We only have a couple of themes which are all copies of default and the manuscript theme.

All of these themes allow you to select an avatar in firefox but not in IE

I created a new copy of default theme and it was the same as above - no avatars

I replaced the  index.template.php  with one on my computer and success! I can see avatars again...

Problem is I dont know whats wrong with the templates that would cause them to work in Firefox and not in IE?

The only difference between the index.template on my PC and the one on the site is the extra tabs I added and the fact that it doesnt have tiny portal edits on it yet.  Could there be something there that affects IE only?

This might not be the reason but I thought I would tell you my discovery

any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 10:58:07 pm by perplexed »

Offline feeble

« Reply #193 on: April 08, 2007, 11:01:07 pm »
hmm, odd. if you tabs contain javascript then more then likely yes, they could be affecting it.

but also, ive tryed to replicated your problem on my forums and also yours as well. and its actually working just fine in both firefox and IE. no problems at all.

which ie are you using? im using ie7 in my tests

Offline perplexed

« Reply #194 on: April 08, 2007, 11:08:41 pm »
IE7 too

I'm not using any javascript as the tabs just link to other parts of the site,using the 'adding tabs to core' tutorial on smf.

This seemed to have started on Wednesday but nothing was changed on wednesday except I changed the name in the tabs.  We also installed the arcade pass around that time and the name change CSS stuff was around then too.

Firefox everything works, it seems to be IE thats a problem.  I also tried it in opera and for me, it wouldnt work either.

It is only happening to people who have been egged and dont use firefox lol

as of today, on the forum there is a theme called testtheme and using that and IE I can change avatars but using another theme and IE I can't.

I have to go out for a while but I will get back into this later today