Author Topic: SMFPets is Finally Here (0.1 out)  (Read 102875 times)

Offline Basil Beard

SMFPets is Finally Here (0.1 out)
« on: February 27, 2007, 12:24:31 pm »
Thats right. The much awaited release of SMFPets is here. You can download it at:

http://dev.dansoftaustralia.net/frs/?group_id=10

Please direct any questions about the mod here. I'll try to answer/fix them as best as I can.

Please also try to break this mod now(on a test board or something) so that such bugs can be fixed before I release an updated version.

Please also suggest any improvements you want to make.

Please note that you must have Shop 3.0(and thus SMF 1.1 or higher to use this mod).

Finally, please have fun. I know you guys have waited a *long* time for this.  O0
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 05:24:53 am by Basil Beard »
Arrrrr!

Offline blitzchic

Re: SMFPets is Finally Here
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 01:35:27 pm »
Link isnt working for me :(

Offline xfollowthereaperx

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 02:59:08 pm »

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 03:07:31 pm »
Okay, I was the one who got the 1/7 successful test in that other thread.

This time, I'm getting an error even before this, it says "Could not upload package, please check directory permissions!"
Not sure if thats an error or on your part or mine.

Offline blitzchic

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 04:25:23 pm »
Awesome work Basil!

Only one quick question, how do I resize the gif of the pet?

Offline Martin

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 05:24:10 pm »
That's awesome, I found a bug though:

SMF Version: 1.1 RC3

When deleting something from the shop, the "Category (X items)" fails to update

Edit:
It updates when I add a new item there though
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 05:35:19 pm by MartinD2 »

Offline Basil Beard

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 10:10:55 pm »
That's awesome, I found a bug though:

SMF Version: 1.1 RC3

When deleting something from the shop, the "Category (X items)" fails to update

Edit:
It updates when I add a new item there though

That sounds like a SMFShop bug. Talk to Daniel.

Awesome work Basil!

Only one quick question, how do I resize the gif of the pet?

Pet size isn't set anywhere. Instead, you'll need to change it in the three parts of the code that call the img code. (once in Shop-Pets.php and twice in pet-engine.php. Just search for img tags and you can find it). Easy setting of pet size will be something I hope to add later.

Okay, I was the one who got the 1/7 successful test in that other thread.

This time, I'm getting an error even before this, it says "Could not upload package, please check directory permissions!"
Not sure if thats an error or on your part or mine.

Sounds like a problem on your end. Try changing the directory premissions on sources/shop and sources/shop/items to 755 or something like that. Not totally sure on exactly what they should be... sorry.

Arrrrr!

Offline TechnoDragon

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 03:04:57 am »
i am getting one recurring error...and it happens on multiple lines...but it all deals with the $context['shop_buy_message'] line 148 which is the start of where it builds the listing for the pets available the exact line is
Code: [Select]
$context['shop_buy_message'] .= "<table width='75%' cellpadding='5' cellspacing='0' border='1' align='center'>
and it is an undefined index error

Don't tell me to get into shape...I have a shape...It is round!

Offline Martin

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 03:36:13 am »
I noticed a exploit, you can level up your pet without waiting all the time it says, just click "Level It Up!" button and it will gain a level. Please fix this, or maybe I did something wrong?

Offline Basil Beard

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 05:02:13 am »
There is something wrong with leveling up. I think there is an error with the date check. You can't level up right away, but you also seem to be able to do it before you should. I'll look into it.

I have no idea why you are getting that error, Techno, maybe its due to SMFShop 2.3?
Arrrrr!

Offline TechnoDragon

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 09:43:16 am »
possibly...I will take a look at the 3.0 code to see where it is making those calls from....everything seems to be working identical to your site, so I can't see what is supposed to be in the context call....

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 01:27:40 pm »
Very very awesome, works perfectly now.

Could someone supply me with some images and how to add different breeds?

Offline TechnoDragon

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 02:29:38 pm »
With the five items in my zip file
http://www.daniel15.com/forum/index.php/topic,627.msg3322.html#msg3322
there are five items i created for the pets, that can basically be named whatever you like (they cover all of the possibilities i could think of for pets)

@BasilBeard, I checked the 3.0 code and could not see where the pet mod is getting that $context variable from, could you point me in the right direction and I KNOW i can fix it!  Awesome mod by the way...just needs a little more flexibility for changing around the core code (example: i was trying to set variables to use text strings for the health and happiness of the pets, but the return statement didn't like the if statements in there)

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 06:00:22 pm »
I love this mod so far but there is so much more you can add to it. I would love to see this mod become a fighting type of system, you buy weapons/items/armor for your pets and you make them duel with other users pets and bet on your pets. You could make your pets evolve like pokemon or whatever as well.

Anyways here are some suggestions:

- Make the arrangement of the Pet Hatchery look like the arrangement of items.
- Fix spelling errors (Description)
- Add around 2 default pets instead of blank to show people how to add them
- Make a way to get rid of pets once you've bought one.
- A way to view other people's pets
- A way to trade pets
- PM the user when his/her pet levels up or can level up... etc
- Make a place that admins can adjust everything a lot more easily

And if you make this mod into a dueling mod, here are some other suggestions:

- Pet battles (They wouldn't be live, it would be like messaging back and forth of two members, members can use items and forfeit and stuff like that.)
- Pet stuff (Weapons, items, armor, so on....)
- Display stats of pets in a better fashion (Heath, Skills, Level, and if you decide to, Armor, Attack... etc.)
- Take and put them in their own section away from the shop, (It would make it less cluttered, easier to use, especially if  you can trade, duel, and stuff like that)

And here are some icons that you can use:

http://www.kidsdomain.com/icon/animalsi.html

Offline Aruta

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 07:58:27 pm »

Very nice mod!!  O0

Just got some minor bugs to report.

My second breed can not be bought. (first new breed was no problem) As soon as I buy it, the screen changes to where the "you bought this pet" should be, but theres no text there. The Pet also doenst get bought...

This may have something to do with a second bug I found.

In the Pet Hatchery I can see my animals icons, but as soon as i buy them and look them up in "Pet Central" the icons disapear.
Seems its searching for the image in the wrong place. My forum is in "http://www.silverrose.nl/forum/sources/shop/pet_images but in the hatchery its trying to find the image in http://www.silverrose.nl/sources/shop/pet_images