Author Topic: Members allowed to sell their own files  (Read 12032 times)

Offline Pure

Members allowed to sell their own files
« on: February 01, 2007, 07:35:22 pm »
I've had a search on the forum but couldn't find anything on this, which surprised me.

Anyway, I have only had it up and running for a day and already I have tons of requests from members asking if they can add their own files in the trade center. I imagine it to be like the file download item but members can specify an URL for their own files. Would this be an easy thing to mod?

The reason I would like this is because it is a graphics development community and members would like to sell their own PSD's and brush packs etc.

BTW, I have great respect to you Daniel and everybody else who has worked on items and code. It's a great piece of engineering :)

So yeah, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Peace, Lance
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 09:27:03 pm by Pure »

Offline Martin

Re: Members allowed to sell their own files
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 09:23:54 am »
Yeah, I need the same, almost everyone are asking if they can add stuff into the shop. I really hope someone makes this, that'd be great...

Offline Pure

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 11:43:58 pm »
Any news on this?  I check back about 10 times a day hoping to see something. Anything would be good to see. Even if it's "it can't be done".

Peace, Lance

Offline feeble

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 02:22:39 pm »
couple of questions of what you want done.

how do you want it implemented?
either by using SMFShop or real money? SMFShop isnt really designed for use of real money, but thats just my opinion.

how do you want the user to upload their file?
either though a hacked version of how SMFshop adds items to its inventory, so it add the file directly to the smf inventory, which should work ok now in the latest version of smfshop, since its added categories.

or through posts. the user creates a post in the forums, displaying what the file is, and ppl can buy to see the attachment to the post.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 02:25:02 pm by feeble »

Offline Pure

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 02:35:12 am »
I'm not interested in real money, no.

To upload, I imagine the users going to a sell items page within the smf shop nav. Then the page would have some fields:

Name:
Description:
Price:
Browse File:

Similar to when you set up a file download item that is already a part of smfshop.

At the moment, I have set up a board where people can simply create topics to sell their own files to whoever wants them. Then they lock the topic when it's sold. They can just send each other the credits when they buy.

But my idea was to have it all in the smfShop interface so a forum board doesn't have to be set up. I hope that explains a little better.

Peace, Lance

Offline feeble

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 02:26:36 pm »
ok ive been thinking about this today.

first couple more questions, are you using tinyportal.

couple ideas for this
-upload function to upload file to tp-downloads/ and adding it to the shop, and to add x amount of items in stock for the item
-give percentage of money to user when item is bough by another member
-ability to get the user to restock the item for a certain amount of money
-ability to delete. modify(cost, details etc) of their items they are selling
-priority - give items more priority in the list if user wants to put up money to start selling it.

just ideas.

Offline Pure

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 07:40:01 pm »
Thanks for the reply again.

No I'm not using tinyportal.

Those are exactly the ideas I had for it. Basicaly exactly the same as the file upload that's already there, but allow other users to do the same thing.

EDIT: The forums are here: www.interfaceuniversity.com/forums. It's my own custom theme which is constantly being modified and upgraded.

I have set up a demo account so you can look around. Posting is disabled along with other options too.

User: demo
Pass: demo

Peace, Lance
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 07:47:33 pm by Pure »

Offline feeble

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 03:20:11 am »
Those are exactly the ideas I had for it. Basicaly exactly the same as the file upload that's already there, but allow other users to do the same thing.
but with out giving admin lol

EDIT: The forums are here: www.interfaceuniversity.com/forums. It's my own custom theme which is constantly being modified and upgraded.
I have set up a demo account so you can look around. Posting is disabled along with other options too.

User: demo
Pass: demo
thanks

No I'm not using tinyportal.
ok, just wondering, was planning on writing a quick version in an article but thats cool.

Offline feeble

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 03:31:58 am »
one thing that i still cant work out is

how will your users communicate over the item? or do you want no communication?

ive been reading over your guidelines for the market place. so you only want 1 item sold?

so once its sold, it gets deleted from the shop?

Offline Pure

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 04:53:30 am »
Well, no. They can sell the item as long as they want to. Depends what it is. If it's a brush pack for instance, that would have multiple buys. But if it's an item they want to sell once, then they would have to lock the topic once it has been sold.

The Marketplace on my forum is slightly different to what it would be in the shop. Obviously with the marketplace being a forum board, people can ask questions, make offers or whatever. If it was in the shop, you wouldn't have that. But the idea was to have the ability for people to upload there own items for sale in the shop. A simple idea really. They would go to the shop and have an option upload their own files. Select price, amount, category etc, and just generally build up the shop items so there are more things to choose from.

I just like the idea of having everything in the shop area rather than using the forums.

I don't mean to over complicate this. I simply would like users to be able to add their own items to the shop's list. That's it really. I can't think of how to explain any further. I've said everything I can.

One more reason I wanted this idea. The Marketplace is fine for users to sell things, but if they had a multiple sales item, they would have to manage PM's and messages from everybody who wants the item and then manually send the item to each of them. This could be really tedious and time consuming. If they could upload a file in the shop, it would all be automatic. You see what I mean?

I do understand it will probably take a fair bit of coding actually. The users would have to receive credits from their own items so that would have to be set up. And of course a panel in which they can manage their own items; edit, delete etc. I don't know. Maybe I'm asking too much. It was just an idea. I'm happy with my forums Marketplace for now.

Peace, Lance

Offline feeble

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 10:43:36 am »
its not difficult, just will take a while lol.

ive already worked out how to do this in smfshop, but havent looked at the downloadfile item php yet, but if not i can make a custom version of it.

ill bring something out soon, not with all the features that it will eventually have but a simple version, then build it on from there.

Offline Pure

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 11:22:56 am »
Wow man. Thanks very much. That's really great of you to do so. I'm currently studying php and other languages in a course I'm taking. So the day will soon come that I can give something back to all who have helped me and others :)

Just out of interest, how come you are only a Jr Member? With all the work you do for people, you should have your own rank ;)

Peace, Lance

Offline Daniel15

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 01:08:49 pm »
Just out of interest, how come you are only a Jr Member? With all the work you do for people, you should have your own rank
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... I need to add more staff here :D.
People like feeble are very helpful and deserve more than just "Jr. Member" :)

Offline tjf008

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 06:13:59 pm »
I've been eagerly awaiting the release of this.

Any news on the status of this modification?

Offline feeble

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 06:50:35 pm »
I've been eagerly awaiting the release of this.

Any news on the status of this modification?

you have been?
umm, i stopped work on this a while ago, as i never heard back from pure.
mySMFShopBETA
Requires SMFShop 3.0 installed

its more just to get an idea, as im still under of what you guys are looking for. to tell the truth, im a little over extended on a few projects atm so ill doubt ill finish this. but if say someone wants to take over or if i get enough responses of ppl interested in this ill continue working on it.
this build is essentially  a first look, so its mostly to see if it was on the right track and what you wanted included.
im still interested to hear what you think of it, but its not really designed for actual use on a working forum
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 06:47:19 am by feeble »