Author Topic: Arcade Pass Item and SMF Arcade Integration  (Read 94857 times)

Offline perplexed

Re: Arcade Pass Item and SMF Arcade Integration
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 12:20:52 am »
cool thanks Hambil,
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Offline inkstains

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 10:56:27 am »
what's the chance of this working with the latest smf shop and modified version E1.4 of SMF Arcade 1.3.1RC1

also can you set it to only require a pass for a certain game category?

Offline Craig!!

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 11:25:46 pm »
This Is A Very Good Feature To Have. Thanks! :)

Offline perplexed

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 04:17:11 am »
Hambil I have another question.

I have all my games set up with different groups able to access, if I switch off 'game permissions' so that permissions says 'none' then use your arcade pass, will that mean that you only need to purchase the pass to play?

(I dont want to have to go through all the games and uncheck boxes)

Offline perplexed

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 10:39:54 am »
Does it tell you anywhere that you are getting money from the shop?  I've been testing it but I dont see anything when you get a high score to say that you are being rewarded - though I am.

Offline perplexed

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 06:42:31 pm »
Another question, is there any way to tell who is using an arcade pass?

If they buy it and its in their inventory ,no worries, I can see that, but if they use the item, then it disappears from their inventory.

I just wondered how I can tell who bought the passes and is using them, and how long they have access for, as I have several passes available?

thanks and sorry for all the questions

Offline David

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 08:07:58 pm »
I use this mod a lot so I'll take the liberty of answering without waiting for Hambil:

I have all my games set up with different groups able to access, if I switch off 'game permissions' so that permissions says 'none' then use your arcade pass, will that mean that you only need to purchase the pass to play?

(I dont want to have to go through all the games and uncheck boxes)

Yes...exactly that. Permissions are cumulative...if you have additional permissions set up as well as the pass then to play a member will have to fulfil all the permissions.

Does it tell you anywhere that you are getting money from the shop?  I've been testing it but I dont see anything when you get a high score to say that you are being rewarded - though I am.

No...maybe you can persuade Daniel to make that part of the shop mod...BTW the shop mod doesn't tell you when you get credits for posting either and that would, presumably, be part of the same system were it to be added.

Another question, is there any way to tell who is using an arcade pass?

If they buy it and its in their inventory ,no worries, I can see that, but if they use the item, then it disappears from their inventory.

I just wondered how I can tell who bought the passes and is using them, and how long they have access for, as I have several passes available?

Again this would have to be part of the shop system rather than the arcade pass mod...for instance you can't tell that somebody has bought and is using any other mod unless it makes a visible (to you) alteration.

On my own forums I keep the number of passes down to just over the number of members then let some buy several and put them up as trade items for an inflated price. Once more than 5% of the members can't afford to pay for a pass I add some more to the shop...it makes life interesting as for a time those who were offering passes to trade made a killing but then their stock loses its value when supply and demand get more into line.

Offline perplexed

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 08:26:11 pm »
thanks very much for your replies David.

I have been trying to work out why one of our mods cant access the arcade yet everyone else can. I though switching off all the permissions and using the pass only would solve the problem but they still cant, and get the error ' you are not allowed to play games'  lol they are getting quite depressed about it :(   I dunno maybe its something at their end, though they can play on the test site *shrug*

Regarding the message about $$$ for high scores, I thought I did see that somewhere.  Maybe just wishful thinking.

So what do you think would be a reasonable price for an arcade pass?  I started off with 1 day pass for $100 and they get paid $5 per post and $10 per topic.  I thought that was pretty reasonable, and yes I have a limited number of passes available... though its still early days yet

Offline David

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 09:03:15 pm »
 Have a look at the moderator group permissions...chances are you'll find that you're blocking arcade access there.

Yes, you can give them credits for being champion of a game..that works really well for me as I test a lot of game conversions (I admin a site that offers a huge number of games for many different forum arcades...we have well over 4,000 that will work with SMF arcade...just a few more than the SMF arcade support site!) having that on offer makes my members do the testing of new games for me...and makes them not moan too much about any that don't work. (PM me for details if you want them as I don't want to spam the site here.)

I manually add a competition...pick a good game that has no play on it yet...make it the monthly competition game...give 100 (or pick a number) credits for the person who holds the highest score on the 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th and 200 for month end highest score holder. It's not much admin effort to do it and it adds a bit more to the forum.

Set your high score reward as follows admin>shop(General Settings) look for the Arcade settings box and you'll find the input box there...only works if you have the arcade and arcade shop mod installed (just saving myself from queries from other people who might read this later...I know you know it already.) See...your "wishful thinking" sometimes pays off!

Personally I keep it simple...give everyone enough credits for a single arcade pass when I add the system then put it at 150 to 300 for 30 days with only 8 credits per posting and 1 credit per word and make them work for a second pass (and later passes.) I set the actual level according to the general sort of activity level on the forum...quiet forums need a lower level...active ones a higher level. Unless you're giving out an awful lot of credits on a really active forum then 100 seems high for one day access...I also think you need to let new members have a period where they can begin posting then get the reward of arcade access for long enough to get used to it then realise that they'll miss it if they don't keep posting...just my opinion though. I try to glue them in to the forum this way you see.

On an active forum having big numbers in the credits gets a bit overwhelming that's why I keep all the figures on the low side...even so some members quickly get thousands of credits.

I run the egging system...all hail feeble...so I need to have my members have enough spare credits for that...you need to also look at whatever other systems you want them to have enough credits to use...it's a balancing act.

Sorry to have gone on a bit...but I hope the above is of some help to you.

Offline David

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2007, 09:06:43 pm »
Just a quick thought...this moderator of yours who can't get into the arcade...maybe he/she bought a pass but hasn't realised that he/she has also to use the pass to get in?

Offline perplexed

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 09:10:48 pm »
no they have a pass and they said it let them into the arcade.  they have the same permissions asthe other mods.  I feel they have a problem at their end.  They think its because they are on a MAC but then they can use the other arcade.  It might just be that person not doing it properly.

Offline David

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 09:21:44 pm »
 Yep...sometimes you can explain how to do something until you get fed up explaining it but they still don't get the simplest parts...it does sound like an error in the object sitting in front of the monitor.

Offline perplexed

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 09:33:09 pm »
lol well it wouldnt be the first time

Offline perplexed

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2007, 04:39:31 am »
ok so this has been working for a few days now except today...

I went to use an arcade pass I had in my inventory and when I used it, I got this:

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/*******l/public_html/forum/Sources/shop/items/arcadepass.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/******/public_html/forum/Sources/shop/Shop-Inventory.php on line 204

what happened?  :((

I'm a bit lost because the shop-inventory.php file has the same info on line 204 on all my forums but the problem seems to be on this one?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 04:52:10 am by perplexed »

Offline perplexed

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2007, 09:22:15 am »
I had a look in the forum error log and it said that there was no such file as arcadepass.php!  I have no idea where it went but I uninstalled the mod and reinstalled it and now it is back to normal.

How it disappeared in the meantime is a mystery