Author Topic: Suggestion  (Read 3580 times)

Offline AbsoluteBreeze

Suggestion
« on: June 21, 2007, 06:33:33 pm »
First of all, Daniel - you have done very well with this.... its a great product - you should be proud ;)

Some thoughts

I think the defaults for enabled boards should be 0 not 1.

I have a large site and nearly 200 boards which I didn't want enabled.... luckily a simple sql update fixed the problem - but it would be nice to 'turn on' where needed.

The same situation appears with people having access to the shop - for sites with many groups this could be a pain. And perhaps access should be turned off by default.

Also, you seem to have text inside the template files, perhaps this would be better in the language files.

Offline Daniel15

Re: Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 11:20:35 am »
First of all, Daniel - you have done very well with this.... its a great product - you should be proud
Thanks  ;D

I think the defaults for enabled boards should be 0 not 1.

I have a large site and nearly 200 boards which I didn't want enabled.... luckily a simple sql update fixed the problem - but it would be nice to 'turn on' where needed.
The problem there is that most sites have SMFShop enabled on all boards. If I did this, people would complain saying that they have heaps of boards and need to enable SMFShop in all of them :P

Also, you seem to have text inside the template files, perhaps this would be better in the language files.
Yeah, definitely. I still need to move them all into the language file. When I started coding SMFShop, I knew almost nothing about PHP, and was basically learning as I went along. The code was ugly, and all the text was hard-coded (as I knew nothing about language files).

Over the years, I started cleaning up the code (and when I joined the SMF Customisation Team, I cleaned up heaps of the code). Even though the code today is alright, I'm still not completely happy with it, and some of the old, ugly code still remains (compare SMFShop to my newer mods like SMFBlog, and you'll see there's a definite difference in code quality).

Offline Basil Beard

Re: Suggestion
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 10:03:27 am »
You could add a "disable shop on all boards in this category" button. :-). That would make disabling and enabling alot easier.
Arrrrr!