Author Topic: Sourceforge-like system for SMFShop-related stuff... Good idea?  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Daniel15

Would anyone be interested in a Sourceforge-like system for SMFShop related stuff (additional items, etc.)? Basically, anyone (especially people like Basil Beard, and other item creators here :)) could create a new "project", and host all their project's data on my site. Each project gets (among other things) its own home page, forums, news system, file release system (download manager), and Subversion access. This would be similar to what CMS Made Simple does: http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/

This would make it a lot easier to manage large items. We could have a downloads page, forums, and a website dedicated to the SMF Pets item, for example. Anyone interested? :)

Offline xfollowthereaperx

Re: Sourceforge-like system for SMFShop-related stuff... Good idea?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 10:29:02 am »
Very cool idea but it'd be easier to host it on one domain  ;)

Especially with SMF Pets

Offline CRONUS

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 02:53:11 pm »
nice idea ;)
as i understand it would be on one domain :)

Offline feeble

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 09:59:13 am »
hmm, wasnt this how the wiki was supposed to be have been used?

sounds like a good idea, just not sure if it will be used a whole lot.

Offline Daniel15

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 03:25:24 pm »
I've almost finished installing GForge (the system I'm going to try), and it will be available as a beta soon. The installation of GForge is very involved, and takes quite a while. Even the documentation says so:
Installation of GForge is a non-trivial undertaking, since it integrates
with so many different components across your system. A skilled sysadmin
is required to pull it off, or at the least a great deal of patience.
I've finished the main installation, but there's a few things I still need to configure (project homepages have not yet been setup, and some SVN settigns need to be changed)

The thing I'm worried about is overloading my server - I haven't had time to purchase a new one so I'm still using my Pentium III 650MHz with 256 MB of RAM. Also, only 3 GB of hard drive space is available at the moment, but I may purchase a new hard drive one day.

hmm, wasnt this how the wiki was supposed to be have been used?
The Wiki was mainly for documentation.