Author Topic: SMFPets is Finally Here (0.1 out)  (Read 103531 times)

Offline sjmarsha

Re: SMFPets is Finally Here (0.1 out)
« Reply #195 on: April 18, 2007, 02:44:17 am »
I deleted and readded and now I found the thing you were talking about. It works fine now, WHEW!

Offline sjmarsha

« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2007, 02:50:18 am »
one more little thing, does anyone know what file I would look into find this -
You have adpoted a new *insert breed*.. yay!

so that I could change the wording? I just want to change it to purchased or something instead of adopted or adpoted.

Thanks!!!

Offline Basil Beard

« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2007, 08:12:57 am »
Look in the shop.english file. Should be there  :)
Arrrrr!

Offline sjmarsha

« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2007, 08:20:50 am »
it was! Thank you so much again. My site is for adoptees and adoptive parents so the adopt a virtual pet thing doesn't go over so well there :) All better now!  You rock!

Offline Basil Beard

« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2007, 05:58:06 am »
Can someone make a list of issues that need to be addressed and or features they would like?

Right now I have:

*Pet Images actually working
*Level Highscore List for Pets
*Link to members pets next to their posts.

Anything else?  :D
Arrrrr!

Offline sjmarsha

« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2007, 06:51:26 am »
*personally* I'd like stuff like this -

Pets ready to use for those of us who aren't great at making our own stuff

Random events, such as on Gaia and Neopets, where just posting and browsing you could get an event on the forum saying "your pet has ____" or "your pet just found 250 credits and brought them to you" something like that.

Maybe a create a pet admin panel where you just enter the skills you'd like, description, upload and image, etc and it write the coding for you. Maybe even an option for "skills effects karma, when pet obtains this skill increase users karma by ____" feature or the same for credits or something.

More items like toys and stuff to interact with the pet that affects their moods and stuff. Maybe eventually pets could even have a personality with opinions "you give the ball to Chucky and he turns his nose up at it" or "you give Champ the dog treat and he gets a tummy ache from it and loses ___ happiness points"

Just thinking out loud

Offline David

« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2007, 07:21:41 am »
Frankly, and I don't mean this to sound ungrateful or unkind, the Pets mod is, for me and as it now stands, far too bug ridden to risk putting it on a live forum. I have it only on a test forum and on that it fills the error log with entry after entry. This makes me feel that the next release should be a bug fix one only with no feature creep at all.

I'd love to be able to offer this system to my forum users and do think that it has the potential to be an excellent addition but right now, for me, it's unusable so my priority wish simply has to be to get it into a state where I could offer it on a live forum. I realise that others may not have the error log deluge from it that I get or may not have their error logs enabled at all, or may not care about such things...each to their own...

I could let you have an admin account on the test forum I use for it...the forum has almost nothing else installed save the errors at top mod, shop and arcade and is on php 5.2.1 (that is, I rather think, the reason for my problems...php 5.x may well not live happily with the Pets mod.) The mod doesn't just produce a few errors...it produces truck loads of them. You're welcome to see for yourself why I don't feel it at all sensible to offer the mod as it is now on a live forum...at least one on the server configuration I have...again, other people may well find that it works perfectly for them.

Sorry this sounds rather doom and gloom and may put a dampener on your mod but if it has problems for me it will, doubtless, have problems for other users so it's best that you know of them and have the chance to fix them.

Offline Basil Beard

« Reply #202 on: April 19, 2007, 10:02:17 am »
*personally* I'd like stuff like this -

Pets ready to use for those of us who aren't great at making our own stuff

Yeah. Starter pets are also in the works =)

Random events, such as on Gaia and Neopets, where just posting and browsing you could get an event on the forum saying "your pet has ____" or "your pet just found 250 credits and brought them to you" something like that.

The purpose of random events on Neopets is to encourage uses to play the site. The purpose of giving credits for posting accomplishes this, so there is little reason for random events.  O0

Maybe a create a pet admin panel where you just enter the skills you'd like, description, upload and image, etc and it write the coding for you. Maybe even an option for "skills effects karma, when pet obtains this skill increase users karma by ____" feature or the same for credits or something.
Create pet admin panel would be ideal for the final release, but won't be happening for a while. Probably it will be the last thing I do.  :buck2:

More items like toys and stuff to interact with the pet that affects their moods and stuff. Maybe eventually pets could even have a personality with opinions "you give the ball to Chucky and he turns his nose up at it" or "you give Champ the dog treat and he gets a tummy ache from it and loses ___ happiness points"

So, my next plan for food is to allow for custom consumption messages. Maybe after that I can also code items that have random effects--but in the same way that Daniel doesn't code all the items people want for the shop, i'll probably leave that as an extra feature people can code themselves.  :P

Frankly, and I don't mean this to sound ungrateful or unkind, the Pets mod is, for me and as it now stands, far too bug ridden to risk putting it on a live forum. I have it only on a test forum and on that it fills the error log with entry after entry. This makes me feel that the next release should be a bug fix one only with no feature creep at all.

Yeah. I am well aware of the bugstuff and will be attempting to clear some of that up.  Most likely everyone is getting the errors and only you are smart enough to care about.  :P

So it looks like my current list is:

*fixing images (done)
*highscore table(mostly done)
*link next to posts
*no errors generated
*starter pets
*upgrade food
Arrrrr!

Offline perplexed

« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2007, 10:36:41 am »
off the top of my head, though these might not be what you have in mind:

a member guide on how to use the pets feature would be nice so I dont have to do it :)

more info on how to add/make skills

see the pets in member profiles as well as pet central? or optional

could the view link on posts be a mini thumbnail of the pet, or could you choose to show that or the blue paw, or a text link?

fix the problem with the time as it seems to be off (see previous post)

I had a problem with the food not increasing the pets happiness/health etc (see previous post) I dont know if thats a bug or what

a user guide and an admin guide maybe?

I can't think of anything else at the moment and its very late.

I don't have mine on a live forum yet, as I am still testing it and have had some little problems but no errors in the log.  I would love to be able to add it though :)

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Offline Basil Beard

« Reply #204 on: April 19, 2007, 11:25:11 am »
--a member guide on how to use the pets feature would be nice so I dont have to do it :)--

Isn't it pretty self explanatory? =P

--more info on how to add/make skills--

What more info do you want? I'd love to help here, but I am not sure what I can give.

--see the pets in member profiles as well as pet central? or optional--

Look closely. Its already there. You just need the default skin.

--could the view link on posts be a mini thumbnail of the pet, or could you choose to show that or the blue paw, or a text link?--

Probably will use a text link or that blue paw. What do people think would be best?

--fix the problem with the time as it seems to be off (see previous post)--
I'll look at it again, but it seems to be right for me.

--I had a problem with the food not increasing the pets happiness/health etc (see previous post) I dont know if thats a bug or what--
Again, I'll look at it, But I donno what could be causing it.

--a user guide and an admin guide maybe?--
What sort of guide do you want?
Arrrrr!

Offline Lady Ambrosia

« Reply #205 on: April 19, 2007, 03:37:47 pm »
My only suggestion would be to be able to place the pets in categories, for instance, like having a category that says Dogs, and when the user clicks on the Dog link they will be taken to dogs, where they can have different types or colors, whatever the admin adds.  Just general categories, I can name a few like Dogs, Cats, Birds, Fantasy, etc; but should the admin of need to add them they can.

Other than that I think that this mod is TOTALLY awesome, and I've not had any troubles, or am I just lucky? LOL
Ambrosia's Castle - My Personal Site
The Dark Castle - My Forum

Offline perplexed

« Reply #206 on: April 19, 2007, 07:40:08 pm »
--a member guide on how to use the pets feature would be nice so I dont have to do it :)--

Isn't it pretty self explanatory? =P 

No lol.  Maybe for people who have had pets on other places, but I'm trying to look at it from the POV of members who are seeing this for the first time, think 'oh goody I can have a pet', go to the shop, buy one, then wonder what they do with it and what it all means.  The skills, feeding and training, I think needs more explanation but maybe not from you, but from me  :P but since mine doesnt seem to function properly, its hard to explain how its supposed to work :)  Basically if I install it on a live forum, I dont want 100s of questions on day one, which I can see happening  :D

--more info on how to add/make skills--

What more info do you want? I'd love to help here, but I am not sure what I can give.

Yeah maybe not your job but I would like more guidance or examples of how to create them and make them work for each type of pet.

--see the pets in member profiles as well as pet central? or optional--

Look closely. Its already there. You just need the default skin.

I only have the default theme on my test forum and its really not there... I dont know if its a problem with the item or the forum.

--could the view link on posts be a mini thumbnail of the pet, or could you choose to show that or the blue paw, or a text link?--

Probably will use a text link or that blue paw. What do people think would be best?
If its a choice between the two, I would go with the paw symbol.  We already have two text links for the shop,dont want too many text links, they take up more space

--fix the problem with the time as it seems to be off (see previous post)--
I'll look at it again, but it seems to be right for me.
I can try reinstalling again and see if that makes any difference

--I had a problem with the food not increasing the pets happiness/health etc (see previous post) I dont know if thats a bug or what--
Again, I'll look at it, But I donno what could be causing it. 

yeah maybe if I reinstall... but currently its not doing what it tells you its doing

--a user guide and an admin guide maybe?--
What sort of guide do you want?

lol again maybe not your job to write a guide, but maybe more info in the pets area to say what its all about and what you can do.  Eg things like, buying a cage to get more pets, feeding the pets and what happens, how the skills work and what the purpose is, what happens during training and so on.   for admins, how to create new pets, new skills, how to set limits and so on

sorry don't mean to be a pain

My only suggestion would be to be able to place the pets in categories, for instance, like having a category that says Dogs, and when the user clicks on the Dog link they will be taken to dogs, where they can have different types or colors, whatever the admin adds.  Just general categories, I can name a few like Dogs, Cats, Birds, Fantasy, etc; but should the admin of need to add them they can.

Other than that I think that this mod is TOTALLY awesome, and I've not had any troubles, or am I just lucky? LOL

Categories!  good one

That would be great for forums with lots of different breeds :)

Offline preddy25

« Reply #207 on: April 19, 2007, 08:14:27 pm »
"8: Use of undefined constant petTemplate - assumed 'petTemplate'
File: /opt/lampp/htdocs/smf/Sources/shop/pet_engine.php
Line: 33"

hi can anyone help me out here? i installed the pets module accordingly onto the shops3.0 (which was working before) but after i install pets0.0 then updated to 0.1 , if i click on shop in the main menu , the following above shows up....i been reinstalling it for few times and still the same error occurs. everything works okay in the admin menu where i can create items for pets n such but if i click on user profile another error shows up
"
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare showpets() (previously declared in /opt/lampp/htdocs/smf/Sources/Profile.php:1522) in /opt/lampp/htdocs/smf/Sources/Profile.php on line 1561"

anyone pls help . tyvm, great mod by the way! a must have!

Offline perplexed

« Reply #208 on: April 19, 2007, 08:17:49 pm »
"8: Use of undefined constant petTemplate - assumed 'petTemplate'
File: /opt/lampp/htdocs/smf/Sources/shop/pet_engine.php
Line: 33"

hi can anyone help me out here? i installed the pets module accordingly onto the shops3.0 (which was working before) but after i install pets0.0 then updated to 0.1 , if i click on shop in the main menu , the following above shows up....i been reinstalling it for few times and still the same error occurs. everything works okay in the admin menu where i can create items for pets n such but if i click on user profile another error shows up
"
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare showpets() (previously declared in /opt/lampp/htdocs/smf/Sources/Profile.php:1522) in /opt/lampp/htdocs/smf/Sources/Profile.php on line 1561"

anyone pls help . tyvm, great mod by the way! a must have!

that redeclare message usually means you have duplicate code in there, probably because of all the reinstalling.  look at lines 1522 and 1561 and remove the duplicate code :)

the other one, I don't know what that is

Offline preddy25

« Reply #209 on: April 19, 2007, 09:20:09 pm »
yup you were right , both were duplicate codes , not too sure where though , could be inside the sql database?
i had reinstall the entire smf forums n mods , removed the smf entries n do a clean install before it actually work.
thanks !