Author Topic: Just an idea  (Read 3815 times)

Offline thinkarcade

Just an idea
« on: April 12, 2007, 02:01:22 pm »
Im thinking of creating an addon for SMFshop that would let the user actually purchase credits with real money using PayPal.  Basically all it would really need is the IPN script that could add the credits to the user's account open successful transaction at PayPal.  I have worked with IPN before so I think I can make this happen.  Would anyone else be interested in this?  If so, you have any other ideas you would like to see in it?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 02:07:12 pm by thinkarcade »

Offline Daniel15

Re: Just an idea
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 02:44:25 pm »
I was planning this since the initial release of SMFShop in December 2004, but never got around to it  :-[. If you did this, it would be great... This gets requested frequently.

If you do this, would you mind if I borrow some of your code for a future SMFShop release?  ;D

Offline thinkarcade

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 09:30:04 pm »
I will gladly share my code and also try to make it as integrated as possible.  Does anyone have any features that they would like this script to do other than letting the users purchase credits?  I am thinking that on the frontend it should just give the users the option to buy and possibly even a history of past purchases.  On the backend you would need a section to config the addon variables (like paths, credit/dollar ratio, etc) since I am sure not everyone will want the IPN script in the same folder.  Also another section where you can see the purchases, their status, when it was ordered, etc to manage the sales.  Can anyone think of anything else?  I'd like to get a majority of the ideas out now cause once I start I like to just keep rolling :)

Offline feeble

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 07:08:21 am »
I was planning this since the initial release of SMFShop in December 2004, but never got around to it  :-[. If you did this, it would be great... This gets requested frequently.

If you do this, would you mind if I borrow some of your code for a future SMFShop release?  ;D

are you sure SMFShop is secure enough for real money?

Offline thinkarcade

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 01:59:11 pm »

I'm not so sure it would even matter if SMFshop wasn't secure as this is only adding credits to a user.  It would probably be best to turn of all stealing and robbing type games if you are going to bring real money in to it though.  Even if their credits get stolen anyways we will have a record of how many credits they purchased.  Maybe SMF should also be modded to keep a transaction log of all purchases (if it doesn't already) so that you can verify if the user spent the credit he purchased or not as another security measure.  I probably wont get time to work on this till next week sometime so lets get some ideas rolling.

Offline Daniel15

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 01:59:15 pm »
SMFShop itself is quite secure, the items slightly less so (but I'm recoding a lot of the items for a future release, anyways)

Maybe SMF should also be modded to keep a transaction log of all purchases (if it doesn't already) so that you can verify if the user spent the credit he purchased or not as another security measure.
Again, something I was planning, but never completed.

probably wont get time to work on this till next week
I don't  get much time to work on SMFShop, either (due to school)...I haven't really touch the code much since January, other things (school especially) have taken all of my spare time.