Author Topic: anyone familiar with phpbb's shop mod?  (Read 14553 times)

Offline sjmarsha

Re: anyone familiar with phpbb's shop mod?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 10:43:38 pm »
Yeah, a lot like that! Something like this and a mod that gives credits to members who refer a new member that actually joins are the two things I'm really looking for for my site right now.

Offline Kylemakk

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 06:15:40 pm »
Just wanted to bump this thread and ask if anyone has had any luck with implementing this. The gift system thats being displayed in these pictures is exactly what I'm looking for as well. I believe that most of the examples I'm seeing are on a VBulletin board system? If anyone has any info on a this it would be great. I love the shop mod for SMF! If this gift giving, along with the display on posts function gets implemented, I may have to change my pants! ;D

KnightRobby

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 06:30:40 am »
I would like to add to this by saying this is a MOD I am really looking forward to.  I am hoping you can work on this add-on to the shop or specify a code needed to get those items displayed and limited to a certain number (i.e., 10 shop items).  Do you think you can pull this off for us?  I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Robby :)

Offline Kylemakk

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 06:39:10 am »
I wish I was a coder or knew much about php. I was wondering if the Custom Profile mod over at the SMF Mod site could help with this. That way, whenever a user sends someone a gift, it would paste itself in a "Gift" field on the users profile...or something like that.

The problem with simply using Daniel's Rock item is that when a user gets it, they can't display it. Its in their inventory only as if to send it to some other user or something. I may be dead wrong here, and forgive me if I am, but wouldn't something like this be easy for a coder? I've just been looking at some of the other cool items on this board and they seem like they took quite some time. But like I said, I'm a noob a don't have a clue.

Whoever decides to take this "gift" item on and does it right will probably be a lot of people's hero...if only on the internet. lol  8)

Offline feeble

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 06:20:11 pm »
So what you guys are basically asking for is that

if a certain item is in your inventory, an icon regarding this item is displayed under your avatar beside your posts?

or am I missing something?

Offline Kylemakk

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 02:01:43 am »
Thats part of it, yes. Even if they couldn't be displayed under the avatar, just a place to display the "Gifts" in their respective profiles would be awesome. At first, I thought that displaying them under the avatar would be cool (much like VBplaza) but now I think it would be much too crowded. I think that's about it.  ;)

Offline David

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 02:20:27 am »
Have you looked at Jay Bachatero's Awards Mod...perhaps that could be used...with his permission?

Offline Kylemakk

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 03:10:51 am »
True. Somehow modified to be purchased item(s) from the shop.

Offline feeble

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 06:34:01 am »
Im sorry but you guys are way to unfocused on this idea.

If you can layout it out for me in layman's terms I might be able to get something simple working for you guys.

You really need to describe for me what you want to show?
Where you want to show it?
What you require(images etc) per gift?
and what you want the gift to do on use(ie send to someone else)?

Offline David

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 06:48:50 am »
My thinking was to keep to a new single image under the avatar and have that be a link to the awards mod (different directory than the awards proper)...so that the awards mod would still do as it did before but this would be a second layer to it...that would mean the awards mod would have a total of two images under the avatar...one for it's usual awards and the other for the items.

The items would then put an image into a new items directory of the awards mod when gained and remove said image when the items were used/sold etc.

I'm just thinking that it might be easier to piggyback this onto the awards mod than do it from scratch.

As per the standard awards mod the profile would have a link to the awards directory (as it does now) and a new link to the member items directory.

Doubtless everyone else will have different ideas...

Offline Kylemakk

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 11:21:10 am »
My thinking was to keep to a new single image under the avatar and have that be a link to the awards mod (different directory than the awards proper)...so that the awards mod would still do as it did before but this would be a second layer to it...that would mean the awards mod would have a total of two images under the avatar...one for it's usual awards and the other for the items.

The items would then put an image into a new items directory of the awards mod when gained and remove said image when the items were used/sold etc.

I'm just thinking that it might be easier to piggyback this onto the awards mod than do it from scratch.

As per the standard awards mod the profile would have a link to the awards directory (as it does now) and a new link to the member items directory.

Doubtless everyone else will have different ideas...

I pretty much have the same expectations. However, for those that have not seen this type of mod before, I'm going to post some screenshots of a forum I'm a member of in hopes of making this clearer. Here we go:

This forum uses Vbulletin and the VbBux/Vplaza systems. Here is a screenshot of where the Gifts are displayed on this particular theme. You'll notice that they are under the signature image and above or next to the editing option buttons.

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Kylemakk/?action=view&current=2.jpg

Not only does this display the gifts here (it limits the amount of gifts on display on posts to keep the forums looking nice) but it also tells you the message sent by the user with that particular gift when you hover over the item on display. In this case, the Superman Gift is being hovered over. This is shown in the image below.

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Kylemakk/?action=view&current=3.jpg

The profile of the user displays the gifts like this:

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Kylemakk/?action=view&current=4.jpg

To be perfectly honest, it doesn't matter to me where the gifts are displayed in the profile page as long as they are there somewhere.

The gifts are images chosen by the Admin just like most of the Shop Items. Once a gift is purchased, you then "Use" the item by deciding which user gets it and what message you want to send with it. It is then displayed instantly on the receiving users account. The receiving user can then decide whether or not they want it to be "public" or "private" as you can probably see in the image above.

I hope I've been clear on this. Let me know if I made no sense or can clearify something. 8)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 11:25:20 am by Kylemakk »

Offline feeble

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 09:10:50 pm »
Sounds like a good idea, I was actually pretty far off in what I thought you were talking about.

That mod doesn't seem to difficult to make.

But I don't have enough time to make it myself, since I've got my own projects that are taking up my free time.

But if someone wants to make this, but needs help, I'm more then happy to answer any questions and help where possible.

The thought of combining the awards mod is good, but I don't think its got everything you want and require and might make things more difficult in the long run.
We could be talking about different awards mods thou, so I might be wrong.

KnightRobby

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 04:01:20 am »
Well, what I need is really simple.  When you enter a thread (like this one) you see to the left the Username, Avatar, etc.  Beneath the avatar, I would like items bought from the shop to show up there, limited to X number, and that is all.  That simple.

It would be nice if you could do this, because this sounds pretty simple for a coder.  I wish I had the knowledge, or I would do it for ya! :)

Offline perplexed

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2007, 10:51:48 pm »
not to confuse things but I was reading this article about facebook gifts.

There are some nice little images there. Scroll down about halfway...

In February 2007, Facebook added a new gift feature to the website. Friends could send "gifts" (small icons of novelty items) to each other by selecting one from Facebook's virtual gift shop and adding a message. Gifts given to a user appear on the recipient's wall with the giver's message, unless the giver decided to give the gift privately, in which case the giver's name and message is not displayed to other users. Additionally, all gifts (including private gifts) received by a user are displayed in the recipient's "gift box" (right above their wall on their profile), marked with either the first name of the user (for public gifts) or the word "Private." An "Anonymous" option is also available, by which anyone with profile access can see the gift, but only the recipient will see the message. No one will see the giver's name, and the gift will go in the recipient's gift box but not the wall.

They also have 'official' gifts that are limited edition
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

KnightRobby

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 03:05:14 am »
That sounds awesome.  Where can I find this "Facebook's Gifts"?  I would like to try it on out.  Can you give me a link to the site that has this particular mod installed?  Also, where can I download such a mod for simplemachines. :)

Thanks!