Author Topic: Selling items  (Read 5486 times)

Offline TechnoDragon

Selling items
« on: October 31, 2006, 06:08:13 am »
I know you can put items into the trade center on the shop, but would it be possible to sell them back to the shop?  Possible as simple as a calculation of say a percentage of the buy value...and then the transaction is done...or as complex as when an item is sold to the shop it actually increases the inventory count?
Don't tell me to get into shape...I have a shape...It is round!

Offline TechnoDragon

Re: Selling items
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 11:32:03 pm »
If anyone is interested...Iwith the help of another admin, I have figured out a way to not only sell the items in your inventory (based on an economy of sorts) but also figured out a way to group multiple items together so you won't have a huge list of the same item!

If interested let me know and I will attempt to post the way to do it here...

Offline Daniel15

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 05:57:05 pm »
So, you reckon that a 'Sell back to shop' function would be useful? I'll keep this in mind :)

igured out a way to group multiple items together so you won't have a huge list of the same item
I was thinking of doing that (a GROUP BY in the SQL statement), but then I thought about this: What if a user has 2 of the same item, and wants to add one to the trade centre. If the items are grouped together, and they're trading one, how will they be able to use the other one?

Offline TechnoDragon

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 09:29:10 pm »
Well, it can be useful if you have my other mod that I mentioned here where you can get random "prizes" as well...plus currently I am almost finished fine-tuning the supply-demand part of the selling code.

Offline matkins70

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 11:10:29 pm »
If the items are grouped together, and they're trading one, how will they be able to use the other one?

I would have thought that if an item went into the trade center, it would then be given some sort of flag, and treated separately, perhaps to the point where you divide up the inventory page(this would be very useful for the first reason).  It is really annoying when you buy something, want to use it, and then have to wade through the **** of unusable items you own.  An inventory page, where it is divided into Usable Items, Unusable items, and Trading items would in my opinion be a real asset to the shop.  Then going on to create the grouped items would make it even better.

Thats my two cents.

Offline TechnoDragon

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 11:54:47 am »
Well, I have the grouped items down pat...and I put some thought into the trade/sell thing...if you can sell your items back...why would you need trade?

Either way this weekend i am going to try to fix the trade issue and work on items sold back actually increase the stock count

Offline Daniel15

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 02:54:28 pm »
An inventory page, where it is divided into Usable Items, Unusable items, and Trading items would in my opinion be a real asset to the sho
Sounds like an awesome idea... I'll try and work on this for the next version :)

Offline matkins70

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 07:25:53 pm »
Well, I have the grouped items down pat...and I put some thought into the trade/sell thing...if you can sell your items back...why would you need trade?

Well I would have thought you could sell basic items back to the shop for a lower price, but there may be some items that are rare, and sought after(this is moving a bit down the line from stealing credits, or sticky topic, but could still apply).  If certain items were only in teh shop, 1 or 2 at a time, then they may be in greater demand, and so, the person who buys them, might be able to sell them for a higher price.

It's all about supply and demand :laugh:

Offline TechnoDragon

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 12:12:38 am »

Well I would have thought you could sell basic items back to the shop for a lower price, but there may be some items that are rare, and sought after(this is moving a bit down the line from stealing credits, or sticky topic, but could still apply).  If certain items were only in teh shop, 1 or 2 at a time, then they may be in greater demand, and so, the person who buys them, might be able to sell them for a higher price.

It's all about supply and demand :laugh:

Actually I have an equation built in that takes that into account!  It counts all of the items available from members and the market and uses a base number to determine what "stocked" is...then takes that percentage and determines the price you get for selling the item.  So the fewer available, the higher the price you get and vice versa!

Offline mikemotorcade

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 06:37:36 am »
Ok, so how do you modify it so that you can sell items back?

Michael