Author Topic: Avatar Maker Mod  (Read 16422 times)

Offline TechnoDragon

« on: January 02, 2007, 08:08:23 am »
Anyone who knows about Gaia online knows about their avatars...well, a lot of searching on the net produced nearly worthless results towards adding a similar feature to a forum or a website for that matter.  After a lot of searching I came acrros but one version on the net but it was done with javascript with all of the files that actually made it work housed on another site...again...worthless in the long run.

So...I decided to create my very own version that I WILL distribute freely on the net...

Currently you can see the fruits of my labor here:

http://avatar.dragontalk.net

This is the standalone version for anyone who wants to add this to their website...

Currently I am now in the process of making this a MOD for SMF...while I have the basic page and link set up with the permissions to allow or not people to see and use it, i have several other functions/permissions that I plan on implementing when I am done...
currently this is at version 1.0...
     Future version hope to have the following abilities:
     - Save the avatar to profile when finished instead of as an image and then upload to your profile manually.
     - A Full admin panel to add/remove/edit items
     - The Ability for members to go back and change their avatars they have already made OR create a new one (see next option)
     - Ability to restrict the number of avatars that any one member can make similar to limiting the number of PMs a member can receive.
     - Integrate with the shop (if installed) so that members can use points they earn on the purchase of their avatar and various items
     - Any other ideas brought to my attention...
This was/has/is a major project and I want anyone's input on layout or features if you have them....

Those of you who have made the prerequisite number of posts and are registered at this forum can see the progress of the integrated version by clicking here.
Don't tell me to get into shape...I have a shape...It is round!

Offline TechnoDragon

Re: Avatar Maker Mod
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 11:13:01 am »
Just a quick update as to where I am with this project...
available:
     - Membergroup access permission
     - Admin access permission
     - Delete Items from database (bug corrected)
     - Add items to database
     - Edit Item information
     - Admin Ability to delete created avatars not being used by members
     - Setting to restrict the amount of avatars that can be made
     - Setting to turn on/off the ability for member to save to profile
     - Upload avatars direct to profile
     - Now when the member goes to the maker each time and selects a gender it clears any previously set items to eliminate the problem with having the opposite genders items.
     - I have begun the process of shop integration...right now all there is are fields on the maker that will show how much you have on hand and how much the total cost of the avatar will be. Also all fields and functions specific to the shop will disappear when the "Shop Enabled" feature is turned on in the admin settings.
     - Integrate with the forum shop (if available on a particular forum)
     - When a member creates an avatar and deletes it, if they spent any forum points to create it they are given back the full cost of their avatar (I may make an admin setting to decide on a percentage of the cost...but haven't decided that yet) Decided and implemented!

What I plan to do:
     - Allow members to modify an already created avatar rather than make a whole new one
     - Tiny Portal Blocks to show information like number of avatars created, most recent avatar, most popular item, gender ratio
     - An external mod is being worked to go with this that will allow users to do several things with their avatars among these:
          - Drop-down menu to choose which avatar to use in each topic/board

Offline Sakuragi

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 07:36:58 pm »
Looks good!
Excellent work!

Offline feeble

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 02:23:46 pm »
looking good man, i like what you have done so far.

btw, your a hard person to catch on msn ;) either you or i

Offline TechnoDragon

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:58:25 pm »
looking good man, i like what you have done so far.

btw, your a hard person to catch on msn ;) either you or i

yes, part of the problem living on opposite sides of the world!

BTW, here's an update on where the maker stands for everyone:
well, here's an update on where the maker stands:
available:
     - Membergroup access permission
     - Admin access permission
     - Delete Items from database (bug corrected)
     - Add items to database
     - Edit Item information
     - Admin Ability to delete created avatars not being used by members
     - Setting to restrict the amount of avatars that can be made
     - Setting to turn on/off the ability for member to save to profile
     - Upload avatars direct to profile
     - Now when the member goes to the maker each time and selects a gender it clears any previously set items to eliminate the problem with having the opposite genders items.
     - I have begun the process of shop integration...right now all there is are fields on the maker that will show how much you have on hand and how much the total cost of the avatar will be. Also all fields and functions specific to the shop will disappear when the "Shop Enabled" feature is turned on in the admin settings.
     - Integrate with the forum shop (if available on a particular forum)
     - When a member creates an avatar and deletes it, if they spent any forum points to create it they are given back the full cost of their avatar(I may make an admin setting to decide on a percentage of the cost... but haven't decided that yet) Decided and implemented!
     - Allow members to modify an already created avatar rather than make a whole new one
     - In the member's profile there is now a link so they can list all of the avatars they have created as well as other members to see avatars that have been created too!
     - Allow varying levels of permissions for posting your created avatars in posts!
          - Drop-down menu to choose which avatar to use in each topic/board

What I plan to do:
     - Tiny Portal Blocks to show information like number of avatars created, most recent avatar, most popular item, gender ratio
     - An external mod is being worked to go with this that will allow users to do several things with their avatars

You can view screenshots I have posted here:
http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?topic=11712.msg101925#msg101925

Offline TechnoDragon

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 01:15:12 pm »
Ok, an update:

Currently we are officially at 1.1b3 and seem to have the install package issue resolved...made several bugfixes as well.  HOPEFULLY this is a sign that we will start making some real progress!  just wanted to take a moment to update everyone and to say thank you to all of the beta testers and bloc for all of the help!

Offline TechnoDragon

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 07:16:17 am »
Great news everyone!  I have completed everything early and this is now open for public release!

to download simply go to my site here:

I have included a few items to get you started and to see what it is capable of...i will also be opening a support board at my site for any issues that may crop up.  Also anyone that does come up with items for their Avatar Maker please post at my board as I am interested to see how everyone uses this!

Thanks go out to all of the beta testers!

Offline Lady Ambrosia

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 07:18:51 am »
Bounced over to check this out, and I must say it looks awesome, I may try it out on my forum.  Thanks so much for an avatar maker :D
Ambrosia's Castle - My Personal Site
The Dark Castle - My Forum

Offline TechnoDragon

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 07:32:37 am »
Absolutely...and I have been working at streamlining the code and adding some new functionality as well

Offline myg_weng

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 04:52:49 pm »
...waiting :D

Offline TechnoDragon

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 04:43:22 pm »
well, we had planned on releasing this last week, but then decided to create it own package manager...so we will be finishing that before we release it.

Offline shomazta

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 01:44:40 pm »
hey i tried installing this mod on my [url:http://shomazta.com]site[/url] and during the test installation I recieved only the following error as a result:

Code: [Select]
5.  Execute Modification  ./Sources/ManagePermissions.php  Test failed
I'm using tinyportal and when I look at the source file managepermissions.php I noticed that it's been revised, the orig file is stile there .php~ yet I'm thinking that maybe the mod won't work properly because of another modification. Anyways I'm fairly new to SMF and this mod obviously, and although I probably could figure out the problem over the course of the next month, I decided to just ask you guys since I'd want to get it running asap.

olandir

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 11:34:51 am »
Can someone PLEASE tell me where to download this SMF mod... I have looked everywhere for this Avatar mod

Offline David

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 05:58:10 pm »
Firstly the mod isn't yet approved by the SMF team and it is thus not at a stage where it would be included in the official SMF mod download site.

Both Perplexed and I have had problems with it that appear to be related to php 5.x and the installer file has a problem with some other mods that are likely to be installed at the same time (the shop mod for instance.)

I'd be very reluctant to consider it for use on a live/production forum bearing in mind the above...the author is aware of these problems and will fix them I'm sure but, like everyone else, he has a ;life to live off of the Internet so patience is advised.

The mod is available via the SMF site but as it isn't an approved or official mod you might well be best not to use it unless you know what you are doing and are able to fix any problems it may bring.

The mod is made available in the coding discussion area only...something of a hint that it isn't  quite ready for prime time that!

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=138898.0

Offline perplexed

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 08:08:06 pm »
Can someone PLEASE tell me where to download this SMF mod... I have looked everywhere for this Avatar mod

did you look at reply #6 which has a link to the download lol

I have problems installing this mod and some others due to some smf related problems.  Quite a few people are having issues installing mods lately, not just this one.  I dont think there is anything wrong with the mod - but then I cant install it either so what do I know lol

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?